Monday, June 4, 2012

2046: "Why can't it be like before?"



I'm still not sure if it was the combination of hormones and too much wine that night, but watching Wong Kar-Wai's 2046 not too long ago left me feeling emotionally hollow and melancholic in the best way possible, even long after the credits had finished rolling. 


A bit choppy, a lot moody -- but the film's cinematography and costumes were superb and seductive, heightened by the right amount and timing dialogue and music.  The movie is actually a sequel to In the Mood for Love, which the interwebs tell me is just as beautiful a film as its second sibling, if not moreso.


Lost love and regret are themes that have been chopped up, cooked up, and served to the masses in a different million ways before, but somehow the characters of 2046 and their struggles resonated with me so much more deeply, as if I had never known pain before and their suffering were just as much as my own for the very first time. 


Oh and Zhang Ziyi looked beyond exquisite in each and every outfit.  I am so excited at wearing a qipao during my wedding reception next year.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails