Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Moving in a different direction.


I received some disappointing news recently about a job I had applied to nearly two months ago.

It was a process that took much longer than both sides anticipated (punctuated by my being out of the country for two weeks, I'm sure) as we went through several interviews and conversations. In the end, the Senior Vice-President sent me a letter, with two complimentary tickets to the organization's (amazing) museum, with no formal offer for me to accept.

Maybe this last act served to soften up the blow, but I highly appreciated the generosity. I honestly never knew a rejection letter could sound so gracious -- which made it mildly more sad that I will not be joining the department. Everyone was genuinely nice and personable, and it was probably one, if not the, most enjoyable "interviews" I have ever had. We all shared quite a few laughs, and the same sense of dry, sarcastic humor. My could-have-been boss and I talked about various topics like fashion, travel, and books, and he even emailed me an incredibly flattering note regarding my accomplishments and abilities the day after we met.

But, to be completely frank, the disappointment was incredibly shortlived. Because the words that stayed with me the longest -- long after I had heard and read them and folded the letter and its contents away -- were "moving in a different direction". Because it was in that rejection that a realization also came to light; that even though I greatly admired the organization and its mission, the bulk of the position itself did not align with my strengths and interests. And so, to be completely frank once again, I am mostly just more relieved that I can now move on.

Because that's what it all it comes down to, no? We keep on moving, moving, moving in a new direction. Everything happens for a reason.

1 comment:

v o j a c q u e said...

definitely a firm believer of everything happens for reason, for each season of life. keep on moving forward. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails