Sunday, April 10, 2011

Think Fluffy Thoughts (Cakes, that is).

Knowing my love for cupcakes and anything with a cute name, Manfriend has been meaning to take me to Fluffy Thoughts Cakes for a while now. Since we were visiting my family yesterday, we used this occasion to get some baked goods for my parents and brothers to enjoy.

The bakery seems to be a well-kept secret: inconspicuously tucked away in the back of a busines building on 1320 Old Chain Bridge Road in Mclean, VA, the small store was still swarming with activity -- we smiled at a man happily holding the door for us, bright teal-colored box in hand; I eavesdropped on conversations going on in the tiny tasting room, and quietly admired the beautiful, ornate wedding cakes on display while waiting in line.

What I like about this place is 1) the wide variety of baked goods available, and 2) the staff. I couldn't make up my mind about what to get, but the young girl helping us was incredibly patient and cheerful, and not once did I feel rushed or frustrated. I ended up getting a half-dozen cupcakes for my brother's birthday, some macarons for my parents (which turned out to be a great choice since my father was entertaining an old friend from France later that night), and (of course) a red velvet cupcake to go.

The verdict: The best part of my cupcake was its frosting. Soft and buttery, it was just the right of amount of sweet and smooth. I loved the quirky vanilla finish and overall taste of the red velvet, but thought the cupcake's texture itself was a tad dry and crumbly. A little disappointing, but my mother told me the macarons were divine!

All in all, I'd say stop by this bakery if (and only if) you're in the area -- very pleasant customer service, and the cupcakes are relatively well-priced and will hit the spot if you are looking for something fun and simple.

2 comments:

v o j a c q u e said...

i don't think i've ever tried those macaroons; i've always seen them pretty in pictures but have yet to try! gosh, those sweets look so amazing! hope you had a fabulous time visiting family. :)

Kim said...

i've tried making them at home before, but no success (yet), hehe. i had a great time visiting my family, thank you for asking!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails