Thursday, April 22, 2010

DC Eats: Las Canteras

My partner-in-crime, Christine, came up with a brilliant idea recently.

"Let's have a ceviche-off!" she said. I enthusiastically agreed, mainly because I lovelovelooooove ceviche.


Ceviche (also spelled as cebiche or seviche) is a citrus-marinated seafood, its birthplace is disputed between Peru and Ecuador.[1] Although it is a typical dish of both countries, many other countries in Latin America have adopted it, with variations. Both fish and shellfish can be used in the preparation of ceviche. - Wikipedia

Our first stop this week: Las Canteras, a Peruvian restaurant and bar in Adams Morgan.

We entered through the bar located in the basement, where the bartender redirected us to the seating area on the second floor for dinner. A decor of mostly red, orange, and yellow colors immediately made the empty place feel warm and inviting. The waiters were attentive, and service was prompt. Both C and I were absolutely famished, and we couldn't wait to dig in.

We started off with orders of the Cebiche Mixto and the Duo de Cebiches.


The Duo de Cebiches comprised of two versions – the cebiche classico, made of white fish, as well as the shrimp cebiche – served side by side. Absolutely delicious, and I thought the sweet potato provided a nice break from the tangy, fruity citrus juice.

The Cebiche Mixto, however, was not quite as satisfying. While the menu denoted that it was "made with white fish, shrimp and other fresh sea food", someone definitely forgot about the "fresh" part in "fresh seafood" that night, and both C and I bit into some foul-tasting clams and mussels. Yuck!

As I was still hungry, I had high hopes for the lomo saltado. Prime beef tenders, stir-fried with onions and tomatoes in a wine and soy sauce, served with rice and fries? Sign me up, I thought!... Alas. The beef was dry and chewy, and I bit into a few undercooked fries. What a sad ending to our meal.

So, SKIP IT or HIT IT, you ask?


My foodie buddy C is wrinkling her nose and saying, "SKIP IT!"

I say skip the sit-down dinner, and if you happen to be in the area and craving for a quick ceviche fix, hit it up for drinks and a quick bite at the bar.

Speaking of drinks, we always stop by Cafe Citron on Wednesday nights, where our friend Jeffy J never fails to whip up the most tastiest concoctions for us.




Thanks, J!

And for the rest of you, go visit him, and tell him Kim and Christine sent you!

***

Las Canteras
www.lascanterasdc.com
Ste 4, 2307 18th Street Northwest
Washington, DC 20009-1862
(202) 265-1780

Cafe Citron
www.cafecitrondc.com
1343 Connecticut Ave NW
Washington, DC 20050
(202) 530-8844

***

PS. One more day 'til Friday! I'm excited.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails