Thursday, May 6, 2010

DC Eats: Ceiba

I had heard good things about Ceiba (pronounced say-bah, and not see-bah, as my ignorant self previously believed), so Christine and I made this place our next contender for our ceviche-off.

Considering the restaurant is a venture from the owners of DC Coast and TenPenh, two excellent restaurants, I was harboring high hopes for Ceiba.

Instead, I was highly disappointed -- and this is probably due to the fact that I was nursing such great expectations to begin with.

We ordered a sampling of four available ceviches (clockwise, from the top):

  • Wild Striped Bass Ceviche (Spicy Rocoto Chili, Sweet Potato, Toasted Peruvian Corn)


  • Peruvian Ceviche "Clasico" (Fresh Lime Juice, Red Onion, Cilantro, Aji Picante)


  • Yucatan Shrimp Ceviche "Cocktail" (Pico de Gallo, Avocado, Crisp Corn Tortillas)


  • Yellowfin Tuna Ceviche (Cucumber, Mango, Jicama, Aji Amarillo Lime Dressing, Crushed Cashews)

Verdict: Yes on the "cocktail" and the "clasico"; total no on the wild striped bass and yellowfin tuna. I was severely underwhelmed. While I was intrigued by the ingredients included in the last two options, both ceviches failed to deliver. I even caught myself feeling bored, while chewing. The last time I checked, food (especially slightly pricy food) is not supposed to make people want to yawn and fall asleep.


Next: The Mahi Mahi, with an accompanying paella. I don't eat fish all too often -- but I am pretty sure it's not supposed to taste like dried chicken meat, either. Hm.

But before you write me off as a Debbie Downer, or a Criticizing Connie, there were a few redeeming factors:

  1. The lounge and bar area had a fun-filled, rowdy atmosphere;


  2. Our server was great, and brought out several wines for us to taste before we made a decision;


  3. They serve these crispy chips instead of bread;


  4. Complimentary caramel popcorn at the end of every meal!


  5. THE WINE (see photo above). We liked it because: it was exactly what I had asked for -- dry, not too sweet, with a smooth finish at the end.

SKIP IT or HIT IT: I wish I read other people's reviews before heading over there for dinner, because then I would have known that I should only HIT IT up for happy hour and stick to the appetizers.

***

Ceiba
http://www.ceibarestaurant.com/
701 14th Street NW
Washington, DC 20005-3206
(202) 393-3983

***

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails