Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas, and childhood.


In the midst of holiday joy and happiness, I tend to experience small whispers of nostalgia around this time of the year. 

I was never sure why, exactly. But recently, while stamping and embossing some wine tags to gift my boss and coworkers and my relatives, it dawned on me that I miss it. 

I miss it a lot. Creating. Making. Giving life to these ideas inside my head with my own hands. 

When I was much, much younger, when my mother was a stay-at-home wife and had the luxury of time and attention to give me, we would spend hours upon hours getting artsy and crafty together. 

Caterpillars out of egg cartons. Mice out of eggshells. Rocking horses out of empty toilet paper rolls. The list goes on. And so does my yearning to be able to do so, someday, with my own daughter or son.

2013 was a beautiful, beautiful year. I saw sides of my family I wish I never did, but underneath it all, it showed me what kind of family I want to create and make a life with my husband someday.


But, first: our big move, smack dab in the middle of the holidays. No pretenses here, my friends. Things have been so, so chaotic and draining. Remind me to never do this again. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails