Wednesday, January 5, 2011

I really do lovelovelove my Digital Harinezumi 2.


I have always loved taking photos but never really pursued photography as a hobby until more recently. And, although I still carry my point-and-shoot everywhere I go and undoubtedly appreciate the clear and crisp pictures that my DSLR faithfully captures and delivers, I've been taking on a new lover around town lately: the Digital Harinezumi 2.


This whimsical, plastic toy camera, immensely popular in Japan, was gifted to me by Manfriend this past Christmas. I think I even squealed the very second I unwrapped my present. For one, it is so cute, and two, I was so curious! I knew absolutely nothing about the Harinezumi (meaning "hedgehog" in Japanese) but got so excited when Manfriend told me the camera was created to replicate the grainy feel of old 35 mm film -- but digitally, and without any alteration. In other words: packaged nostalgia, all in the palm of your hand (and pocket). I couldn't wait to try it out!

Just as I suspected, I quickly fell in love with it. My snooping around the web tells me this little technological gem doesn't come cheap, but if you are a true camera enthusiast or just want to own something unique and quirky, the Harinezumi comes highly recommended. Not only does it take photos in color and black and white, the Digital Harinezumi 2 also has sound and video capabilities with a scratchy, muffled quality that is very much like those of VHS or cassette tapes.


Yet despite its simplicity, I've taken so many pretty pictures with it (and received quite a number of quizzical stares when I'm using it in public as well). And, in a continuously transforming world saturated with airbrushing, post-processing, and advanced editing, the Harinezumi boasts haphazard highlights, irregular vignetting, unpredictable hues and contrasting -- and I find its blurred imperfections, as is, oddly and perfectly comforting.


Its photos are reminiscent of dreamy, foggy, silent memories, and I can almost hear my mother's voice slowly fading away as I drifted into deep, deep sleep as a child. There's definitely something to be said for a camera that can bring you back in time at the mere click of a plastic button.

2 comments:

scriptamanent said...

That seems like an awesome little toy. Good job, Manfriend. More picture taking by you yay.

v o j a c q u e said...

how cute and portable!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails