Monday, June 13, 2011

Memory Lane Mondays: Reliving prom.

As we finalize decisions and game plan for our Asia trip (17 days!), I find myself in slight panic mode, as I am still without a formal gown for the "Bollywood-themed" gala we will be attending while in Singapore. I think I hit the jackpot when I stumbled on http://www.promgirl.com/ last night, as there are many affordable, gorgeous styles in beautiful, vibrant colors. (Whether or not I will need to get the dress tailored is another story altogether.)




Which got me thinking: my highschool prom was sort of a disaster. Several people got stuck in traffic that day, including myself and the bestie, so we all ended up missing our dinner reservations. My then-boyfriend and I had also gotten into a huge argument at the beginning of the evening, which soured the rest of the night's festivities. But, worst of all, the dress I had oh so carefully designed and saved up money to get personally made -- the dress whose details I had several discussions with the seamstress months beforehand -- was ill-fitting, too short, and looked nothing like I had envisioned it to be.   

But there were definitely some bright moments. My aunt, who has been my hairstylist for years, did my gorgeous updo for free. We all had a good time ordering in pizza, relaxing and hanging out at my girlfriend's house beforehand. M and I were also thankful for the extra two hours we suddenly had on our hands to continue primping and getting ready.

And although prom itself and the after-party was a little lame, I am all in all very glad that I got to experience a staple American tradition, with funny stories and memories to share for years to come.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails