Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Angela Carter; Oscar and the Lady in Pink.

My three new (used) books I recently bought off Amazon have finally arrived. One of my absolute new favorites, Oscar and the Lady in Pink, moved me tremendously.



It is the epistolary story of a 10 year-old boy named Oscar suffering from cancer, who writes little letters to God even though he does not believe in Him.


At the suggestion of his beloved Mamie-Rose, Oscar also turns a decade older with each remaining day of December, in order to not miss any important life stages, and to die normally, of old age.


(At the unfortunate expense of revealing to you what happens, in the end ... my heart cried, when he died.)


The two other titles are from one of my favorite modern female authors, Angela Carter. Her writing is beautiful, lyrical -- and hauntingly so. I was introduced to her during my sophomore year of college in my Literature of Fantasy class. I fell in love almost immediately, for too many reasons.

I remember everything.
Yes.
I remember everything perfectly.

And so begins The Infernal Desire Machines of Doctor Hoffman. I will be sure to remember to tell you how it goes. I have a feeling it will be insanely bizarre.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails